Thursday, February 17, 2022

Childhood Favourites

 My reading taste has changed quite dramatically over the years and now that I'm an adult, I'm trying to figure out what is is all over again. I'm trying to read different books and so this year I'm reading an old favourite (essentially reading the books on my bookshelf), trying new ones and reading some more non-fiction. I'm using my local library and the Libby app, and I've signed up for a couple of different reading challenges and trying some of those books that everyone raves about that I've not had chance to read. I may find that I come back to the same books but I'm going to enjoy the ride. 

As I child, I loved fantasy/magical adventure. I loved Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Chronicles Of Narnia and The Hobbit, The Secret Garden, Tom's Midnight Garden, Moondial, His Dark Materials... that kind of thing. 

I turned into a bit of a pretentious reader in secondary school - I only read 'classics' but still do absolutely love Louisa M Alcott, Jane Austen, Charlotte & Emily Bronte, Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy. Pride & Prejudice is probably still my favourite book. 

In my late teens, I stopped reading because it wasn't cool and then going into university, I didn't have time to read. 

Which brings me to my early 20s with no idea what I want to read, and looking forward to exploring everything. I'm currently trying Cassandra Clare. Other authors I've made a note that I want to try include Suzanne Collins, Neil Gaiman, John Green, Sarah J Maas, Richelle Mead, Stephenie Meyer, EL James, Madeline Miller, Veronica Roth, Andy Weir.

1 comment:

  1. I'm too old for Harry Potter and Percy Jackson to have been childhood reads but The Secret Garden and Tom's Midnight Garden were absolute favourites of mine.
    Sarah J Maas and Neil Gaiman are on my TBR list too. Good luck with finding some new favourites!

    ReplyDelete

Childhood Favourites

 My reading taste has changed quite dramatically over the years and now that I'm an adult, I'm trying to figure out what is is all o...